Sunday, October 10, 2010

Twinkle twinkle little star - Russian translation


I love picking out children books at the Denver Library. But with our setup at home (I use Russian with Sasha and my husband uses English with him), I cannot read majority of them to my son, unless they are picture books. Picture books are easy to translate in Russian as I go, but the poems are a different thing.


Recently, I found yet another gem published by Child's Play International. It is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with simplified American Sign Language. Needless to say, the American Sign Language does not really impose on my Russian only policy, because I can still speak Russian when I sign. And I like the idea of singing and signing because the visual component and the movement helps to remember words and sounds better. I ended up coming up with my translation, and I only threw out one sign (sky). Here is my translation:

Russian Text:-----------------------------Signs:
Гори, звездочка, гори! ---------------- twinkle, little, star
Дивно мне, какая ты. ----------------- how, you
Наверху, над землей ------------------ up, world
Светит бриллиант такой. ------------ diamond
Гори, звездочка, гори! ---------------- twinkle, little, star
Дивно мне, какая ты.------------------ wonder, you

You can find the book with signs on many websites, and it might be also available at your local library. The Denver Public Library definitely has a copy. 


Watch a woman signing this song on YouTube in order to learn the signs.


No comments:

Post a Comment