Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hawaiian Pattycake

This is not necessarily about teaching languages to your child, but about how you can customize Patty Cake rhyme for your particular culture. This what my Hawaii-grown husband came up with:


Manapua! Manapua!
Baker's man!
Make me a manapua as fast as you can!
Stuff it with pork
And mark it with B,
And put it in the steamer
For baby and me!

Manapua is a steamed bun, as you probably guessed. This is Hawaiian pidgin word. The bun itself is definitely of Chinese cuisine.

If you come up with other scenarios (such as Croissant! Croissant! Boulangerie man!..), feel free to post them as a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I'm dying to create a rhyme that uses Konditorei.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apfelstreusel, Apfelstreusel!
    Du Konditoreimann,
    Mach mir mal ein Apfelstreusel
    so schell wie man nur kann!
    Roll ihn, fuell ihn und schmueck ihn mit'nem B
    Und leg ihn ins Offen fuer das Kind und mich.

    I couldn't rhyme the last two lines. Maybe one of your friends in Europe could work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what I chant to my son Griffin:

    Pattycake, pattycake, boulanger
    Faites-moi un gateau s'il vous plait
    Roulez-le, et tapez-le, et y ecrivez un G
    Mettez-le dans le four pour moi et bebe

    I love your husband's Hawaiian version! You make an excellent point that we can modify rhymes to reflect another culture without having to translate them.

    ReplyDelete